Volunteering at conferences can be a rewarding experience. It’s a great opportunity to meet new people and learn a lot of new stuff.
Here are some things you should be aware of:
- Look at conference program ahead of time and make sure you’re not scheduled to work during a Keynote or session you’re really interested in. If so, ask to swap with someone.
- Don’t get too consumed with trying to attend all the sessions you want. Some of the best sessions I’ve seen were the ones where I had no expectation.
- Help others out. If they want to swap, volunteer to do so.
- You will increase your chances of getting selected in the future
- It’s a great way to offset the cost especially if your employer isn’t paying for it
- You’ll make instant connections
- Likely to be inspired to contribute to the community in other ways
- A sense of accomplishment
- Can be difficult to attend certain sessions (e.g. Celebrity Keynote Speaker)
- There are times where it can be exhausting
- There’s likely to be chaos in the beginning